34 CASA DE ESTUDILLO was constructed about 1825, and was the home of Don Jose Antonio de Estudillo, Spanish aristocrat. It became a sanctuary for women and children during armed conflicts incident to the American occupation in 1846. Incorrectly identified as “Ramona’s Marriage Place” for many years, the adobe structure is considered one of Old Town’s outstanding showplaces. EL CAMPO SANTO CEMETERY was used between 1850 and 1880. Here lie many of the most famous early San Diegan's. Now smaller than its original size, some graves lie beneath San Diego Avenue and Linwood Street. THE OLD ADOBE CHAPEL was reconstruct- ed in the 1930’s after the original structure was razed. The original, started in 1850 and dedicat- ed on November 21, 1858, was to remain in use more than fifty years. Father Antonio D. Ubach, said to have been the “Father Gaspara” of Helen Hunt Jackson’s famous novel Ramona, offici- ated here after 1868. The Adobe Chapel was the setting for the fictional wedding of Ramona and Allesandro in Jackson’s novel. Here, in the small sacristy, may be seen the tomb of Don Jose Antonio Aguirre. HISTORIC OLD TOWN SAN DIEGO TRAIL CASA DE LOPEZ was originally built about 1835. Known as the Francisco Lopez place. Casa de Lopez has been reconstructed in front of its original location. BURTON HOUSE is a Colonial Revival house that was built in 1893 by Henry Guild Burton, a retired Army physician. U. S. HOUSE is a reconstruction of an original 1850 frame house, which was, over the years, a store, boarding house, and res- taurant. SAN DIEGO HOUSE was home to Freeman and Light, the first African/Americans to settle in Old Town. The reconstructed building was originally built in 1838. RACINE & LARAMIE is operating a store in a reconstructed 1868 building. SAN DIEGO UNION NEWSPAPER is a resto- ration of a building believed to be constructed in 1850 on land owned by Miguel Pedrorena, one of the authors of the Constitution of California. COBBLESTONE JAIL was built in 1850. It is now in ruins, behind the Jail House Motel. CASA DE CARRILLO is the oldest house in the City of San Diego. It was built by Don Francisco M. Ruiz and occupied about 1820 by the family of Don Joaquin Carrillo. Ruiz planted the famous pear orchard, the first private planting of fruit trees in Southern California. Now restored, this house is the clubhouse of the Presidio Hill 18-hole golf course.